Wednesday 5 September 2018

Yoshi's Typhoon Jebi Story

Wednesday, 5 September 2018


On Tuesday, a massive typhoon hit the west Japan and left big messes in the region.

Today, I write what I have seen and experienced here.

It had been said that the typhoon was moving so fast, as fast as cars and motorbikes travelling on the ordinary highway. The weather would change rapidly.

Waking up before 5 am on Tuesday, it was normal. After sun rose, it broke clouds and even sunshine dominated the sky. It would be hard to see the typhoon was heading here, like me unable to imagine it would be raining in the evening on my first day at my second holiday in Melbourne back in July.

As usual, I practised footy (Aussie Rules) at Umekoji Park in Kyoto that morning.

It would not happen in the morning when typhoon would hit around midday...

But the wind got getting stronger at the end of my footy practice.

No rain was still falling around 10 am when I got to work.

It started raining around midday, bit later than the weather forecast. Wind was getting much stronger and it went wild at 1ish.

Objects flew outside. I saw a cone flying from somewhere and sensed the typhoon was hitting Kyoto hard.

Winds yelled loud and hit the wall of my workplace. Custmors and colleagues were scared.

Chochin, the oval Japanese Lantern sign, and noren, the Japanese overhead streamer, were flown out. We didn't lose, but had to put inside to avoid damaging the property.

Over 2:30 pm, power has been cut four or five times for a minute or two each time. A supervisor has cobtacted a chain manager discussing the operation, and before 2:50pm, he instructed us to close the restaurant temporary due to occasional power cut.

We all thought we should end the day due to further potential damage.

No power cut has occurred since then and the chain manager decided to go back on operation at 3:30 pm.

As not many people were walking on the main street our restaurant is situated. As people were advised not to go out unless they had urgent issues, who would dine with us? And many establishments were closed because of cancelled trains and the wild weather. My thought came up that we would only spend money rather than gaining profits.

It stopped raining in the evening and the wind was calmed down too. We were nearly back to normal at night.

Finally the long day ended just before 11 pm. I was tired mentally more than physically.

My colleague was worried of having no power at her home and what she should do if so. I said, it would be alright.

On my way to home, I dropped by at a convenience store for snacks and alcohol drink. I never thought power cut at my apartment.

Walking along the small river to get to home, I found blackout on the street. My fears came up - my apartment would have no power.

I tried to play down, but saw no light was on surrounding homes either.

Before arriving at home, I saw someone riding a bike. I asked her if her house had no power or not. Unfortunately she faced power cut too. She had been to her friend's house to have a bath, and wasn't worried about power cut as she was about to go to bed.

I had drinks and foods without power and used a torch with my iPhone.

The brand new day arrived without power and I started a day with cold shower. Given up having toasts and coffee. No toasted bread and sparkling water were my breakfast. But it was still good to have a meal. Around 5,000 people were stuck at Kansai Airport because it was flooded so no airplane was able to fly out and the connecting bridge to the mainland was damaged (the airport is in a man made island), and foods were running out.

I went to Starbucks in Gion afterwards to charge my iPhone. While charging the phone, I watched the E J Whitten Legends game (replay).

On the way there, I saw some messes on the river side street. Here are some photos.


Flew over garage


Flew over roof top


Fallen trees

It was hot outside so I have decided not to have a lunch at home without air-conditioning. Then I went home and found the power was restored.

Now I can cook rice as usual and wash my clothes too. I had had to go to a coin operated laundry so planned to cut off numbers of footy practices. But now I can do as many as I want!

My life is almost back as usual, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment