Wednesday 27 June 2018

Misleading Article and English Teaching at Japanese Schools

This week, I read an online news article about English teaching at Japanese schools commentating what areas are important in the English classes.

But inaccurate information was given at first.

The author argues that speaking and listening are main areas for the last 30 years in the English teaching that Japanese schools provide.

It is inaccurate and no source is provided in the article.

In 1988, I was a Year 10 student at high school. I only learned reading, writing and grammar. Being taught speaking and listening was not what I refer for my English classes while my school days. Some readers comments are read as same as my experiences. Even youths born in the Heisei period (1989 and beyond) were not taught speaking o listening at school.

Then the author argues that being taught English at very young ages would affect children with their development and cognitive. Kids need plenty of time to function in their first language (Japanese), he says.

But once again, there is no source. Without study, how can anyone argue this point?

What I have been told is that kids pick up languages easier than adults. Starting to learn the second language earlier, ability of speaking that language is improving faster.

Also I do not agree with the point that grammar, reading and writing are important areas to teach. How come people understand the structure of the language without an ability to speak? How can anyone read and write the language unless being able to speak?

While I needed a lot of hardworking to improve English more than a decade ago, my British friend told me that no one can read English without speaking. Also he suggested me to have an easy reading book first as I had to go through the process that native English speaking babies and kids go through.

He has got great points of views in the language learning.

My first argument is put to the newspaper. How did they publish this article without reliable source? Have their editors checked the article and asked the author to provide sources?

I am sure none of them has been done. Editors only focus on deadline so that they could report the news first and make an attractive headline.

The publisher is called Toyo Keizai Shinbun that is a business newspaper. But their attitudes are what tabloid media does. Purchasing the newspaper doesn't meet the value.

Also I find their points have no alternative argument. The author should have presented how being taught grammar, reading and writing developed English skills so that Japanese people can communicate and debate equally with people from all over the world.

Indeed nothing will be demonstrated as I have already shown here.

Presenting facts and reasonable points are essential in media works, I learned online several years ago. This golden rule is broken in recent media. Development of the internet put much under the pressure on media, but misleading loses trusts by readers. I think media has already lost a lot of trusts in countries.

Then English programmes in many of Japanese schools are what I criticise.

They hire native English speaking teachers, but classes are conducted by Japanese teachers mainly. Also exams are organised by Japanese English teachers.

Then native English speakers get frustrated not being key English teachers and not being able to argue about mistakes in exams and teaching programmes.

I really think English SHOULD be taught by teachers who speak the language as their language. Japanse English teachers have to be assistants, like helping students in Japanese at the very last option.

Education boards should be replaced with reliable experts. Stupid old school systems are applied in the dysfunctional Japanse society systems. I really hate such society systems.

There are several ways to express one thing in any language. If a student writes in some different words that a teacher doesn't expect, she or he will be marked no or reducted points. Such attitudes should be banned. Then only native English teachers will be able to judge if the answer is appropriate or not.

English teaching programme needs to be overhauled, as well as media's attitudes on delivering news.

No comments:

Post a Comment