Saturday 2 December 2017

Japanese Sainter's thoughts on foods

Just after my first blog here, I bought three Chinese hot bums and udon for lunch. It was the light one because I had a late breakfast and didn't have enough energy to cook due to sore throat.

I hadn't any thoughts of bubbling up the topic to write here.

Even Japanese people tend to keep traditional cultures and conservative values, international foods have been influenced on our tables.

The Chinese bums were filled grated Cheese, some minces and tomato sauce. They have been featured as pizza alike bums. It was Japanese made mixed international food, I can call.

Italian foods are popular in Japan, as in the rest of the world. Pasta and pizza are what we Japanese people love.

Then my thought came up with Japanese homes not having an oven. We love pizza but don't have an oven. It's strange, isn't it?

My guess is that cooking our foods (mostly Japanese ones) can be done without an oven, so it's not necessary. And installing an oven needs a lot of space while we don't have much lands for housing, and ovens can be expensive.

But as a person who has lived in New Zealand for four years and used an oven at home for some cooking, the life without an oven narrows my ranges of cooking.

Toasted sandwiches can be cooked on a frying pan, but cooking with an oven is better. So much burns on the surfaces are made with a frying pan. Plus cheeses are melted better in the oven.

Roasted chicken with vegetables cannot cooked without the oven. Plus I can't cook pizza at my apartment. I miss such meals in my life in Japan, sadly.

I really hope ovens are installed easily in Japan to enjoy different cuisines at home.

Most our sweets are French influenced, especially in cake as well as bread. Home made cake cannot be cooked without an oven.

Changing the topic, even lamb is unavailable at major supermarkets here in Kyoto, while it's available in Sapporo, the northern Japan. Lamb is popular in the north as they eat Mongolian influenced jingisukan (grilled sliced lamb with vegetables) while people here don't eat. Lamb is unpopular in the mainland of Japan because of the smell and texture.

As a person born and bred in Sapporo, I miss lamb. It's strange as we love international foods. As we have many international tourists here and some of them stay at Airbnb and cook meals, they might want lamb too for just a break from Japanese foods.

What do you find about foods? Don't be shy and do leave your comment please! I value your opinions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment